4.02.2006

What a guy!

Ok, so we're just getting in from a fun night out and I feel like so much is on my mind that I'd like to write about. It's so much later than when I'm used to winding down- 2:30 a.m., but really 3:30 a.m. with the time change. Thank goodness my mom is so great and offered to have Delaney over for a sleepover! It was so good to be out with Paul and reconnect. We haven't been out on a date in SO long! We went downtown Cleveland for dinner at the Rockbottom Brewery and then to The Blind Pig. We went to see Second Place, the band Paul used to be the lead singer for, and it was fun, but definitley different. I guess I never realized at the time how cool it was to have my husband as the lead singer in a band. It was a lot of time away though: band practice every week, shows each weekend, watching his shows alone, etc. that made me feel such resentment towards the band. He was the only one in the band with a family, so his situation was something that none of the other guys could relate to. Although he says that it was the best decision for our family, I'm sure it was ultimately my encouragement and nagging that led him to quitting this fun opportunity. Seeing them out there tonight was weird for all of us- for Paul especially, for our friends in the band, and for his replacement. His replacement is definitely NO Paul. I feel bad, but we were so critical of him! He is so chotchie (sp?). I don't think we enjoyed the whole experience there as much as we should have because we were thinking "Why did they cut this song?" or " When is he going to stop acting so cocky?!" I miss Paul being up there and seeing him add his fun personality to the show. He read the crowd so well and included everyone in the fun. I remember feeling so proud of him when I'd be in the back of the bar and see people watching and singing along. "That's my husband up there," is what I wanted to blurt out! I was so proud of him for sharing his talents with everyone. I know he feels envious of the fact that they now have a corporate sponsor (Coors Light) and Paul was the one that took them to the point that they are now. He deserves so much credit for sticking up for what he believes in-- he never cussed in the songs he sang and didn't act like someone he's not. He was himself and that's what everyone loved about him. He's a great performer and I hope that he's able to find another avenue to share this part of himself with others. He's hoping to use his musical ablilities in church more often by helping to lead the new contemporary service at our church. That'd be right up his alley! So, what I guess I'm trying to say is that I'm really proud of Paul for standing up for what he believes in and for doing what's best for our family even though he so enjoyed his role as the lead singer in the band for almost 2 years. The band is still fun to watch, and will continue to do well, but will never be the same because they are missing the most important member...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Paul is amazing and I hope one day I will find someone as fabulous as him!

    ReplyDelete