1.10.2009

My baby is ONE!!!



It's amazing to me that it's been one year since the night I was making Delaney dinner and felt my water break. I wasn't at all prepared to go to the hospital that night. My bags weren't even remotely packed and my mind still had 16 days of preparing to do. I remember leaving the house and giving Delaney the longest, tightest hug, knowing that things would never quite be the same for our family. I felt nervous about how I would have enough love to give everyone and was anxious about how I'd handle being the mother of two. Geez, I had no idea just how much better life was about to become!

At 9:59 A.M. on January 12th my world became even more meaningful and my heart literally doubled right there on that hospital bed. Makenna fit so perfectly into our family from the very start. As soon as I scooped up that chubby little baby I knew that I had PLENTY of love to go around. This brand new person that I was looking at seemed like someone I'd been looking at and loving all along. I must have stared at her teeeeeny little baby doll mouth for hours that first day and couldn't stop playing with her bendy little ears. (I LOVE how baby ears don't have the cartilage all formed yet. It's one of my favorite baby parts:) She didn't look a thing like Delaney. She was this brand new beautiful baby girl that God had entrusted into our care. How did I deserve all of this?! I am eternally grateful.

Makenna has enriched our lives in a way that I never knew was possible. And just when I can't get over how much we love her, I look at Delaney with her. The girls are so tight already! Delaney has such love for "sister" as we all call her and it has not changed since the first time they met. Even after 365 days with "sister", Delaney begs to be the one who goes up to see her first and excitedly runs to her door to reconnect after a nap. Delaney's prayers each day mention "sister" multiple times. She is willing to do things for her sister that she doesn't do with others. She shares her most prized possessions with her and usually shares beautifully. Watching my girls together melts my heart.

Seeing Makenna grow up over this past year has been amazing. She makes us laugh each day with her adorable personality. She's always so happy and independent and silly. We're amazed by all the words she's saying now and are enjoying seeing her get more and more confident with walking each day. I feel so fortunate to be Makenna's mommy and look forward to seeing what God has in store for her during this next stage of life. Happy 1st Birthday Bear!!!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:43 PM

    awww... so so sweet. time flies. Happy BDay Makenna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your girls are adorable!! I love Delaney's new glasses, and Makenna's cupcake birthday outfit!! Hope to see you sometime soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, her hair is to die for! It alone is enough to make you smile all day long. Second, happy birthday baby Makenna! Let's get together this month...call me, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET MAKENNA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got time to read this today. I am tearing up just reading it. This is such a beautiful posting that your family will be able to treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete